Does anyone remember coconut mushrooms?

LordLuken
Reactions:
the middle number please (12345): 3

Does anyone remember coconut mushrooms?

Unread post by LordLuken »

A bit of an odd question I know, but following a recent chat I became aware that there are perhaps those that have never tried them, remember them etc. So what are your memories of these confections and do you still eat them?
Image Image SPONSOR Self Proclaimed Beaky, chicken & Droll Extraordinaire
Trump Finally Delivers - get me over there.
Millerman
Reactions:

Re: Does anyone remember coconut mushrooms?

Unread post by Millerman »

Not one of my favourites.
Click here for more!
Silkhands
Reactions:

Unread post by Silkhands »

I used to like bar sixes and Texan bars. Mind you, back then sweets came in proper sized bars.
Stubby
Reactions:

Unread post by Stubby »

As a kid i used to get them from a stall in Goole market years ago, it was one of them stalls that sold mis-shaped sweets and packs of broken biscuits. I used to get coconut mushrooms and my brother used to get the liquorice allsorts that were all black and white and mint flavour.
Alexandria
Reactions:

Unread post by Alexandria »

They probably don't sell it now, although I could be wrong.
Last edited by Alexandria on Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexandria
Reactions:

Unread post by Alexandria »

Yes, it was a very cool delicacy ...
Millerman
Reactions:

Unread post by Millerman »

They still sell them.
Saw some in Boyes down Hessle Road a few days ago in the sweet section, obviously :lol:
Click here for more!
Silkhands
Reactions:

Unread post by Silkhands »

Millerman wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:59 am They still sell them.
Saw some in Boyes down Hessle Road a few days ago in the sweet section, obviously :lol:
Boyes sell most of everything, so I imagine you can get the liquorice with the white icing too! I know they sell some amazing salted caramel cookies and some with fruit & nuts. Very moorish :drool:
Mariner1973
Subscriber
Subscriber
Reactions:

Unread post by Mariner1973 »

You can order them of Amazon, I got my sister some , she said it reminded her of outlr Nan!! , can't say it did me lol , I had one and it just reminded me of a bounty bar !! 😅
LordLuken
Reactions:

Mariner1973 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:12 pm You can order them of Amazon, I got my sister some , she said it reminded her of outlr Nan!! , can't say it did me lol , I had one and it just reminded me of a bounty bar !! 😅
:lol: Interesting memory and comparison for that matter lol. I used to love bounty bars too. I used to buy them in bulk from Makros. Probably how I got to the round shape I currently am! :shock: :mrgreen:
Mariner1973
Subscriber
Subscriber
Reactions:

Unread post by Mariner1973 »

But as with everything these days there tiny in comparison to back in the day !!! Lol
LordLuken
Reactions:

Mariner1973 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:12 pm But as with everything these days there tiny in comparison to back in the day !!! Lol
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. My current liking is Toffee Crisp, they are nothing like what they were back in the day either. :(
mrmadness
Reactions:

Unread post by mrmadness »

Mariner1973 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:12 pm But as with everything these days there tiny in comparison to back in the day !!! Lol
Watching any TV show or ads from years ago. It's crazy how much everyday products have gotten smaller.

Damn shrinkflation. Was out of hand before and gone crazy since 2021.

Though a good excuse for telling any new, disappointed partners. That's just me though lol.

LordLuken wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:21 pm
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. My current liking is Toffee Crisp, they are nothing like what they were back in the day either. :(
Guessing more sugar and less cocoa butter, due to cocoa supplies declining. Plus the toffee to crispiness ratio will probably be off due to making them smaller.

Cadbury's owned by the Americans and Nestlé buying up different companies has changed things too.

Personally I'd rather they make chocolate bars more expensive if needs be, but retained the quality of yesteryear. Make them a rare luxury for most of us, yet more enjoyable.
LordLuken
Reactions:

mrmadness wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:33 pm ...Personally I'd rather they make chocolate bars more expensive if needs be, but retained the quality of yesteryear. Make them a rare luxury for most of us, yet more enjoyable.
I tend to agree, that might be a better solution than reducing the size and hiking the prices. My assumption was this would be down to the sugar tax, supposedly put in place to help with the nations obesity issues. And simple business 101 is for any company to make a profit. Unfortunately, this means retaining the quality of yesteryear just isn't profitable to the confectionery companies. :(
mrmadness
Reactions:

Unread post by mrmadness »

LordLuken wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:11 pm
mrmadness wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:33 pm ...Personally I'd rather they make chocolate bars more expensive if needs be, but retained the quality of yesteryear. Make them a rare luxury for most of us, yet more enjoyable.
I tend to agree, that might be a better solution than reducing the size and hiking the prices. My assumption was this would be down to the sugar tax, supposedly put in place to help with the nations obesity issues. And simple business 101 is for any company to make a profit. Unfortunately, this means retaining the quality of yesteryear just isn't profitable to the confectionery companies. :(
Forgot all about the sugar tax. It was hummed and harred about for so long I misremembered the gov actually implementing it.

I stick to lindt anyway. Haven't noticed a difference but some say it has changed too.

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”